Air pollution is often thought to come from things like cars, factories, and power plants that are outside. However, indoor air quality also has a significant impact on our health. Indoor air can be up to five times more polluted than outdoor air. Harmful air pollutants in the home can come from a variety of sources, including building materials, household products, and even everyday activities like cooking and cleaning. Exposure to these pollutants causes a range of health problems.
It’s a dangerous gas that causes lung cancer when inhaled over a long period. It decays into tiny radioactive particles that get trapped in the lungs and damage the lung tissue. This leads to lung cancer over time.
The danger of radon exposure is compounded by the fact that it is a silent killer. It’s odorless, tasteless, and invisible, making it impossible to detect without specialized testing. This means that you could be breathing in harmful levels for years without even knowing it.
The most effective way to reduce radon levels in your home is through a process called radon mitigation. It involves installing a system that draws it from the soil and vents it out of your home.
This system typically consists of a pipe that runs from the foundation of your home to the roof, along with a fan that draws radon out of the soil and vents it outside.
You can also lower the levels by sealing cracks and holes in your foundation and walls and making sure there is enough airflow.
It is made when fossil fuels like gas, oil, and wood are burned but not all the way. When it is breathed in, it takes the place of oxygen in the bloodstream and causes carbon monoxide poisoning, which can lead to serious health problems.
Headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion are all symptoms of its poisoning. In severe cases, it can cause a coma or seizures.
It’s considered dangerous because it’s difficult to detect without specialized equipment. Since it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, it builds up in enclosed spaces without anyone realizing it. This is why it is called the “silent killer.”
There are steps you can take to prevent its exposure. The first is to install detectors in your home. These work like smoke detectors and will sound an alarm if dangerous levels are detected in your home.
You can also have a qualified professional check and fix your furnace, water heater, and other fuel-burning appliances regularly. You should also stop using gas or charcoal grills indoors or in enclosed spaces.
You may also consider never using a generator indoors or in an attached garage, even if the doors and windows are open. You should make sure your car’s exhaust system is properly maintained and not leaking. Also, never use a gas oven to heat your home.
It is commonly used in the manufacture of building materials and household products like plywood, particleboard, and insulation.
It can cause a wide range of health problems, from minor irritations to more serious conditions, if you are exposed to it. Short-term exposure causes symptoms such as eye, nose, and throat irritation, coughing, and wheezing. Long-term exposure causes problems, including cancer.
Formaldehyde exposure is linked to an increased risk of several types of cancer, like nasopharyngeal cancer and leukemia. It also exacerbates respiratory problems such as asthma.
When you buy new furniture or building materials, look for ones that say they are low-emitting or don’t contain formaldehyde. You can also reduce its emissions by ventilating your home regularly.
Other ways include avoiding the use of air fresheners or scented products, and keeping indoor humidity levels low, as high humidity can increase emissions. Avoiding smoking indoors is also key.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
They are a group of chemicals that can be found in many common household products, including paints, cleaning supplies, and personal care products.
Short-term exposure to high levels causes symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. Long-term exposure causes more serious health problems, including damage to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system.
VOCs can be especially harmful to children, the elderly, and people with breathing problems like asthma. When purchasing products for your home, look for low-VOC or VOC-free options. Many paint and cleaning product manufacturers now offer low-VOC alternatives.
Reduce its exposure in your home by avoiding the use of air fresheners and other scented products and using a high-efficiency air filter.
It’s a type of air pollution made up of tiny particles, including dust, dirt, soot, and smoke. Exposure to it causes a variety of health problems, particularly for those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
High levels of PM cause coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath when exposed to them for a short time. Long-term exposure leads to problems including heart disease and lung cancer.
Consider putting high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters in your home’s ventilation system or buying air purifiers to cut down on your exposure. Also, use natural gas or electric appliances instead of wood-burning stoves or fireplaces.
You should also not smoke inside, and you should open the windows and use fans to move the air around your home.
It is a natural mineral that was often used in building materials because it can withstand heat and is strong. It was later discovered to cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma.
When its fibers are released into the air, they are inhaled and become lodged in the lungs, where they can cause serious health problems over time.
It’s commonly found in building materials such as insulation, flooring, and roofing. If these materials are damaged or disturbed, the fibers are released.
An asbestos inspection can tell you if your home has any materials that contain asbestos and how to handle or get rid of them.
You can also cut your risk of getting sick by not drilling or cutting into asbestos-containing materials. You also keep those materials in good condition and avoid damaging them.
If you want to make changes to your home, you should hire a professional who knows how to safely remove asbestos. They should wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, when handling.
It’s a type of fungus that grows in moist environments and can be found both indoors and outdoors. While some types are harmless, others release harmful toxins into the air that cause a range of health problems.
When mold spores are released into the air, they are inhaled and cause a range of health problems, including allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and respiratory infections. In some cases, exposure also causes health problems like neurological issues and cancer.
It is often found in damp places in the house, like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. It can also grow in areas affected by water damage, like after a flood or leak.
You prevent mold growth in your home by controlling humidity levels. Use a dehumidifier in areas prone to moisture, and make sure your home is properly ventilated.
Fix leaks promptly and make necessary repairs to prevent their growth. Clean up spills and moisture promptly, Use a fan or open windows to dry the area quickly.
When building or remodeling your home, use things like drywall, paint, and flooring that don’t grow mold. Regularly clean and maintain your home to prevent buildup.
It has more than 7,000 chemicals, and at least 70 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer. When inhaled, it causes lung cancer, heart disease, stroke, respiratory infections, and asthma.
Secondhand smoke is particularly dangerous. It contains many of the same harmful chemicals as directly inhaled smoke and can cause the same health problems in non-smokers. Even brief exposure has negative health effects.
At Simply Air Conditioning Heating & Plumbing we offer a range of services, including plumbing repairs and installations, air duct cleaning, and indoor air quality testing. Our comprehensive approach to home comfort ensures that customers can rely on us for all of their HVAC and plumbing needs in Las Vegas, NV. Contact Simply Air Conditioning Heating & Plumbing today for more information.